Monday, August 27, 2018

Another Post on the Percona Community Blog, Bug Activities on Replication Crash Safety, and Percona Live Europe

I published another article on the Percona Community Blog.  This time, it is about Semi-Synchronous Replication.  You can read the post here:
I previously wrote about my motivation to publish on the Percona Community Blog.  Things have not changed: I still believe it is a great community initiative that I want to encourage.  You can learn more about the Percona Community Blog in their Hello World and in the Story So Far posts.

Aside from writing that post, something else kept me busy in the last days.  Valeriy Kravchuk published an article about the MySQL manual and cited documentation bugs.  Some of those are about replication, which is in my area of expertise.  What I read there is so wrong and could not be unseen, so I had to do something about it.

One of those bugs reminded me that MySQL replication is not crash safe with GTID and with low-durability settings (Bug#90997 and Bug#70659).  This is true for MySQL 5.6, 5.7 and 8.0.  Not much can be done about this in 5.6, but I am sure this can be fixed with little effort in 5.7, so I opened the following:
At the same time, I realized that MySQL replication crash safety, which I have to admit is a complicated subject, is still misunderstood and even documented wrong (I commented in Bug#91654 and in Bug#90935).  I hope to be able to organize information about this subject in a single place, but in the meantime, you can read the following:
Update 2018-08-30: I forgot to mention this post that covers both GTID and non-GTID in the single-threaded case (MTS not covered there):
Something else that will keep me busy in the next few days is doing my committee member duty by rating talks for Percona Live Europe.  This year, the conference is in Frankfurt from Monday November 5 to Wednesday 7.  The tickets are already on sale and the Early Bird rates are available up to September 9 according to the website.  I look forward to seeing you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment